map-marker Boyne Falls, Michigan

Want my money back. Lies and no communication

I paid a month ago. Company didn't even send order confirmation. They changed day of the shipment several times but today DHL tracking number showed that item just got picked up for shipping! And expected day for delivery is in 3 weeks!! I want to cancel and get my money back

User's recommendation: Do not buy.

Michael M Orv

Verified Reviewer

Did not get what I actually paid for.

Afremov - Did not get what I actually paid for.
Afremov - Did not get what I actually paid for. - Image 2

Sadly, I ordered a signed, limited edition, out of 25, print from this business in late September but what was shipped to me was not numbered nor did the COA state this was a limited edition. After several weeks of going back and forth with then they finally said the "right painting would be shipped asap", but 2 weeks went by without a shipment arriving.

After reaching out again they said they would check the status when they got into the office "in a few hours", but still never heard back. Later that day I got an automated shipment notification email from DHL, but no response to my email.

That print finally arrived one week later but it was now a limited edition out of 10!!! How can the painting they sold me be a limited edition out of 25, but now it is a limited edition out of 10?

I believe this is fraudulent, and I want others to be aware that what they think they are paying for may in fact just be one of the many reproductions the Afremov family has been churning out since Afremov's passing in 2019.

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Don't pay for limited edition or signed prints. They are not actually limited in the sense that you expect and no guarantee they were even painted by the artist at all.

Guest

I had the same experience. My painting was supposed to be limited edition “out of 10” but it wasn’t.

Their studio painted it as it reeked of paint when received. The so called originals, are not painted by Leonid.

Guest
reply icon Replying to comment of Guest-2507160

I am going to file a complaint with the Better business bureau at this point. From what I can tell he may even have ripped off another artist's style.

View more comments (1)
Debra S Vzg

Verified Reviewer

Did not deliver item as ordered

Afremov - Did not deliver item as ordered

Order #114220. With my order, I paid for Museum Wrap frame an extra $59.00 charge.

My painting arrive in a tube without framing. I made several to get a refund for the framing cost, $50.00, and I received no response.

When I made a claim with my charge card company, they finally contacted me but refused refund the $59.00. refund $59

Afremov Reply:
Thank you for your purchase. I apologize for the issue. We did try to refund $59 on several occasions but you opened a chargeback the same time we working on this issue. the chargeback was for $207 instead of $59. Card companies usually cannot dispute a partial amount. We could not issue a partial refund while the dispute was opened. Now that the dispute has been closed, we were able to issue your partial refund today back to card ############9064. it will arrive within 5 business days.

Price reduction

jesse j Stx

Fraud

I was very surprised when my wife showed me another name on the back. This painting may have been worth $500 if it was painted by Afremov.

But it is not worth your bargain price painted by another.

This was very deceiving.

Smart though, you got me and I have been around the block a few times. Shame on you

Afremov Reply:
Thank you for your comment, but your email is not matched to any of our orders, so I can't tell what is the problem, on our site we sell originals, signed by Leonid Afremov and copies done by studio artists if you made a purchase of studio copy it will be signed by the name of the artist that painted it.

natacha r

Verified Reviewer

Afremov - Saling recreations passing for originals one of a kind....

I ordered what they call 2 "Surprise Originals painted by Leonid Afremov from David's personal collection"..those were supposed to be unique. I received the paintings and if one of them was all right the other one was clearly NOT painted by Leonid Afremov.

I received 2 COAs stating that those were one of a kind originals painted by Leonid himself which was clearly not true..but what really made me tick is when I found on their website that my "unique one of a kind" paintings were listed for sale with different names....in the meantime I had ordered another one and discovered again that this was not a one of a kind but a simple recreation sold with a special COA and a brand new name...I have included the various COAs, the pictures of the paintings I received and a screen capture of the way they listed the paintings...The paintings I received were called Magical Rain In The Park on my COA when in fact it is called Foggy early morning on their site, or Last Boat on my COA when it is in fact Purple Impression

So I am extremely disappointed as it WAS sold under a FALSE description. Worse, they made COAs with false informations on them just to make me believe I bought a unique painting, which make those COAs worthless..and what is even worse is that the signatures on all 3 paintings don't match.. they were not made by the same person..which means they are selling fakes passing as originals...

I manage to have one of those paintings refunded....I have bought other paintings to them sold as recreations that I liked and a few LImited Edition Originals that I am now wondering if they truly are "originals" as , again the signatures are off...the paintings are lovely but they are scamming people with false descriptions and fake COAs... STAY AWAY from them!!!

Afremov Reply:
Thank you for your comment. The paintings you received were 100% painted by Leonid Afremov. We offered you to return them. You refused it and then you offered to refund you 50% of the cost of the paintings, which was done almost 2 months ago. All your requests have been processed and fulfilled at the time of the request. If you still have any questions, please contact us at orders@afremov.com

Mireille D

Verified Reviewer

Suspicious and aggressive sales technique

Updated by user Jan 02, 2021

My purchase remains partly a negative experience: one of the purchases is painted amateurishly. The website is very commercial.

Works are continuously painted by different employees. The set times are bait for potential buyers. The relatives of the deceased artist use aggressive marketing methods. They do everything they can to remove negative reviews.

I stick with my opinion! It is a pity that profit prevails over Leonid Afremov's good name and works.

Updated by user Dec 19, 2020

From their reactions and their reporting on their website, I can only conclude that the next of kin, in the name of their "deceased father and the real artist", want to collect big money. This is allowed - but that at least quality is delivered at correct transparent prices.

Original review Nov 30, 2020

WtfI received my 2 oil paintings last week. Because I gave a negative review regarding my purchase, Afremov refunded the import costs.

Good advice to foreign buyers: think before you start. My purchase is partly a disappointment: one of the paintings was amateurishly copied in their studio. Some brush strokes themselves seem childish and unrealistic. Their website is commercially and professionally prepared with some pitfalls and nonsense.

All this to mislead and persuade buyers to buy. Especially the aggressive messages and advertising in the form of spam is annoying. On the occasion of Black Friday I received another offer to buy 2 paintings + 1 for free ??

One must dare!

Briefly, I decided not to return anything because this only entails additional hassle. End of story....

Afremov Reply:
I am sorry, but on the site is stated that you have to pay import taxes, this is normal for international buyer, the tax we refunded, so I really don't get what is the issue with the order

Apology

Mireille D

Doubtful

I bought 2 works in frame. When ordering and paying, the seller does not inform you that additional hidden costs have to be paid.

Therefore, read the sales and shipping conditions carefully.

The relatives and their studio of the famous painter work on the assembly line. Their promotion times will restart after expiration. Buyers are led to believe that decisions must be taken quickly.

Trade is only free of import taxes on the US market.

So people are on the lookout for these malicious practices. Leonid turn himself in his grave!

Afremov Reply:
the comment about Leonid turning in his grave is offensive for the family and not necessary . We do not have an assumably line. We are a small studio of 18 artists that studied with Leonid Afremov when he was alive. Since the start of the pandemic all the artists are working from their homes and this will remain this way permanently. Working from home is much better for an artist. the promotions on the site are set for 48 hours periods. Sometimes they are renewed and sometimes they do not renew.
The hidden fees the client referring to are import duties and Tariffs that go to the government of their country via customs office. As an international buyer each customer must research the rules and laws related to importing art. Art is considered a special commodity that is taxed very differently from regular product in many countries. Some countries do not tax art at all. Some countries apply heavy taxes on art. its very variable in each country . We recommend that you do your research related to importing art in your country.
We warn about such possible customs fees in our shipping policy https://afremov.com/Shipping-Policy.html and terms and conditions https://afremov.com/Terms-and-Conditions.html . We do not cover import duties. It must be paid by the receiver . We normally do a little compensation is store credit for the amount of the tax for another order. For example , if you pay $30 as tax , we give you discount or coupon for $30
We do provide free shipping which means cost of transport for paintings shipped rolled in a tube to any place in the world

Patrick S Lmi

Scam alert!

Every step of the Afremov processadvertising, merchandising, execution, shipping, customer serviceis based on misrepresentation, misdirection, and outright lies. The one thing they do truly and well is take your money. We heartily recommend that you avoid these people.

Afremov Reply:
We are very surprised to receive this review. Our main goal is our customer satisfaction. I do not see any details in this review of a problem with the delivered product , order number and specifics on delivery. Please provide information on what is wrong about your order and order number . then we can gladly help you solve the issue. so far this review looks like a troll because of leak of specifics and order details.

Michael M Bqv

I have had repeated dealings with this family and they are all characterized by dishonesty. See details at sadfacts.us

Gavin M Kfn

Resolved: Bad Paiting

Afremov - Bad Paiting
Afremov - Bad Paiting - Image 2
Updated by user Oct 18, 2020

Customer service is probably the best i've ever had. I am completely blown away by their level of customer service.

They really do "Make it right" ...

they gave me multiple options...and I am again... no longer even mad..

Original review Oct 18, 2020

Received my order today and it is terrible.

Afremov Reply:
Thank you for your comment and I am happy that issue was resloved

Petr M Bun

Resolved: Afremov - Fake print

Afremov - Fake print
Afremov - Fake print - Image 2
Updated by user Oct 17, 2020

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with partial refund. refund - taxes.

Updated by user Sep 17, 2020

Got a call from them. Waiting for delivery..

Original review Sep 17, 2020

I will keep changing my review as the situation evolves:

First of all I've ordered set of 3 on a frame. Because of the delay they sent me a complimentary print. I paid tax on it. I am in Canada I just paid $82.61 tax. Got the tax refunded. They reply pretty fast, if they see a negative review.

Yesterday I received my set. It is not a true replicas. Paid another tax $88. Yes it is on canvas but ... it is far from original to say the least. Colors mismatch. Amount of details. I would not hang it in my garage. I was upset with the quality of reproduction,

What they show you on the site are the originals made by Afremov.

What they send you are low quality quickly made "copy" by some guy. In my case it was Christian Rubio.

After my complaint I got offered another "master piece" right away. I refused and ask for the refund. They promised to send the prepaid return label.

Let see if I get the refund.

Update:

Ok. I've got my refund minus taxes. I have to get it from the government somehow. They are pretty responsive as a customer support.

Here is the problem: They show an original painting on the web site, but they send you a poor replica. Perhaps somewhere they mention that in a fine legal print. But:

What you see is NOT what you get!

They have to show the actual replicas on the web site and sell them.

From what I understood they mass producing the original paintings, but the quality is low. But on other hand you can't buy a good painting for a couple hundred...

If you don't like it - they will refund.

Afremov Reply:
Dear Petr, thank you for your comment. The print you received is a gift for the delay. We have already sent your paintings and you received it. If you have any questions, please write to orders@afremov.com

Adrien D Nxv

They will try to trick you once again. Ask your money back.

Adrien D Nxv

Afremov.com is a total scam managed by David and Boris Afremov (the artist's sons). Unfortunately they're ruining their father's reputation.

They've been selling fake paintings as "Originals" for years. Each day a new Promo email arrives announcing several "Original" paintings created by Leonid. Total *** When you receive a painting smell it. It will smell fresh obviously.

Artist died more than a year ago. They have around 15 artists working for them at Playa del Carmen, Mexico.

In terms of quantity of artworks, it is probably the biggest fraud in the art market during this century. Some art critic should write a story about these guys...

View more comments (1)
Judy M Kqp

Resolved: Unhappy customer

Updated by user Oct 14, 2020

Company fixed the issue and I have been provided with full refund.

Original review Sep 14, 2020

Originally ordered an "enhanced" painting, colors were off and perspective was really wrong. Company offered to replace with a print of the original on canvas.

Received another "enhanced" painting, again colors were off and perspective was not good.

Will be buying prints from Art.com. Don't need this sort of nonsense.

Afremov Reply:
The only place to order paintings on prints is only afremov.com, do not make any promotions via comments

Deliver product or service ordered

James S Flj

Bad painting

Afremov - Bad painting
Afremov - Bad painting - Image 2

Cheap and not what advertised

Afremov Reply:
Dear James, thank you for your comment. If you are not happy with the painting, please contact us at orders@afremov.com and we will solve it.

Deliver product or service ordered

Marek W Qbl

Simply amazing!

Afremov - Simply amazing!

Today is an amazing day for me! I have received my painting.

I love it so much! Colours are so bright and intense! Cannot wait till I will hang it on the wall. Since the beginning the customer service was incredibly fast!

I was receiving responses for my questions right away. We have to be prepared for the additional tax fee in EU.

But still! This piece of art is worth it!

Afremov Reply:
Dear Marek, thank you for your comment, I am glad that you like painting.

E-commerce Talks

Art for Your Home Not Museums

Mar 7, 2022

David Afremov
David Afremov

Julie R Nfq

Afremov - Very disappointed with my painting

Updated by user Oct 01, 2020

Following my initial review, I was contacted by Alfremov studios on the same day, who asked me to take a photo of the painting I'd received and send it to them. I did, and they said they would send another painting to me.

I received it today. It IS better than the first painting, with more detail, and the figure looks as though he's carrying an umbrella now! It doesn't look exactly like the original, but is a much better copy.

I did, however, have to pay a second lot of customs duty, which means the painting has now cost me an extra £17, which is the duty for this item. I do appreciate the fact that they contacted me immediately, and have done their best to solve my problem, but would be wary about buying from these people again, personally, because really their paintings should be quality checked before they're issued to customers.

Original review Aug 20, 2020

Firstly, this website afremov.com is NOT clear that the picture you'll receive is not an original, but a studio copy. It seems deliberately deceitful in its wording - even the invoice slip is worded as though this is an original painted by Leonid Afremov.

Having said that, the price told me that it would probably be a copy.

But I did expect it to be a decent copy. It's painted by Christian Hubro, and is a very poor copy indeed. If I'd seen a picture of this rather than the original on the afremov.com website I would not have ordered it. I expected my reproduction to look like the original.

The colours are dull and flat and the figure (way to warmth) looks as though he's wearing a strange hat rather than carrying an umbrella.

No vibrancy whatsoever to it.

Ugh. I'm now in a catch 22, as I have to either keep an uninspiring copy or return it and pay not only the cost of postage, but lose the £17 customs charge I had to pay as well.

I feel thoroughly cheated, and would not recommend this company to anyone.

Afremov Reply:
Dear Julie,thank you very much for your comment. In the description of each painting there is information if the painting made by Leonid Afremov himself or made by Leonid Afremov Studio. The description of the painting you bought says "made by Leonid Afremov Studio". If you are not happy with the painting, please contact us at orders@afremov.com and we will solve it.
Felix H

Verified Buyer

"Recreations" are surely not done by Leonid Afremov and look aweful

I ordered 4 paintings as recreations from afremov. I only write this review because they are not answering my complaints.

Those were:

"Rain Princess 3"

"Morning Sun of January"

"Music"

"Old Magic"

At first, I received only the 3 first called paintings. Old magic is still pending. Even in Corona-times the delivery was incredibly fast, so I was really impressed.

But as soon I got my paintings I opened them and were more than disappointed.

I would like to cite the page itself: "his recreation was finished by Leonid Afremov himself with the help of his best studio artists to do pencil drawing and basic background." "This recreation is made almost identical to the original image that you see online. The only difference is patterns and minor details that give the recreation and original feel." and "This piece was created with the same amount of soul and emotion just like the first original painting." and from the page which explains recreation: "Leonid employees profesional artists who do the pencil drawings and backround layers for him. Then he himself finished the details of the painting. "

The Rain princess 3 looks like a rain princes painting, but totally not like Rain princess 3. It looks like a cheap copy of it. lines are just straight strokes instead of the original round lines and the effect is total different. The tree in the background is a drawn joke, the buildings to the right are just blocks and there is not any 3D-deep-effect like in the original, which it claims to be almost identical to. the strokes are just way less and bigger and much more loveless. It does not look like Rain princess 3 and it does not in any kind look "almost identical". This is just a lie.

But it gets better with "Music". This just looks like a child made his first steps with perspective painting and is putting all the assembly parts of the violin somewhere in totally wrong positions and wrong proportions, same with the glass. Some parts are horrible deformed and the books look like breaking skyscrapers. It has nothing to do with the original and is not in any way almost identical".

The best part becomes the morning sun of January. Even if I would try this myself, I need to put effort in it to make it that bad. I thought I am a bad joke to them. I really can't imagine that Leonid ever touched this painting or would have let it be sold. Because the name on this picture just ruins his name and all of his creations with such examples. Just look at the original and the "recreation" I also uploaded.

If someone describes on his page that these paintings look "almost identical" and it is finished by Leonid Afremov, what do you expect? So even if you watch his videos doing recreations? Such paintings?

I'm not even sure how they have done this. I would expect that they will use a projector or something and then doing the pencil work etc. But because all the stuff is even in the wrong positions it seems they are just terrible high speed painting without putting any effort in it.

Well it seems that receiving a really nice paintings from Afremov for just $149 stays an illusion. If I would have read this page and the reviews here, I would not have bought those paintings.

I would rather get a giclée print of those.

So for the "old magic"-painting which is still missing, I wrote them I want a picture of it. I put my complaints and that wish in one mail, and they didn't respond, besides else they respond really fast.

What I have read now is in another complaint from october 2019. A copmment from afremovs themselfs about recreations: "We sale studio recreations , and some recreations that are done by my father and the studio together ( I think in couple days we will sale the last one and the category will be removed)". How interesting that 9 months later there are still such recreations!

Afremov Reply:
Dear Felix, Thank you very much for your comment, the some of the recreations are done by Afremov studio, some where done by my father together with studio, each recreation is unique painting, this why it look different in some case, we sent you email with allot of options, exchange , refund, new painting at no extra charge.

Danny F Zdq

Verified Reviewer

Afremov - TERRIBLE RECREATION OF A PIECE OF ART!!! DO NOT BUY!

Afremov - TERRIBLE RECREATION OF A PIECE OF ART!!! DO NOT BUY!
Afremov - TERRIBLE RECREATION OF A PIECE OF ART!!! DO NOT BUY! - Image 2

So I knew upon purchasing this artwork that it was not the original and that it was just a recreation. I was fine with that.

What I'm not fine with is what I got. Complete garbage. The painting is so sloppily done, it looks like some 10 year old kid was paid $20 to recreate this piece in 45 mins and the con artists at afremov.com turned it for a profit. There is white splattered all over the place that makes no sense for reflections and the lamp posts are a comical single line with a "w" at the top.

Colors are bland and dull (not vibrant like in the original). No DETAILS whatsoever and so sloppy....DO NOT BUY FROM afremov.com.

It's a total rip off. First photo is what I thought I was getting (or at least close to it) and 2nd photo is what I actually got...($200 garbage).

Afremov Reply:
Dear Danny,thank you for your comment. If you not happy with the painting and want to exchange it, please contact us at orders@afremov.com

Full refund

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article